Final opportunity to have a say on design options for Agnes Water carpark
Residents and tourists, and the wider community, have an opportunity to vote on three design options regarding the upcoming construction of an overflow carpark and carparking at Agnes Water.
Council hosted three community engagement sessions (20 July, 22 July and 5 August) at Agnes Water to better understand community preferences for the project.
As a result of the community engagement sessions, Council agreed to provide three design options for the carpark based on feedback provided at the consultation.
Gladstone Region Mayor Matt Burnett said the community can now vote on which options they would prefer via Council’s Conversations platform.
“Car parking options along Jeffery Court include angled drive-in parking, angled reverse parking and parallel parking,” Councillor Burnett said.
“Options for 5 Agnes Street include car parking to fit up to 71 spaces.”
Options for Jeffery Court include:
- Angled ‘drive in’ parking with 20 carparks, with an additional footpath and three trees removed
- Angled ‘reverse’ parking with 22 carparks, with an additional footpath and three trees removed
- Relocating the current parallel parking with 16 carparks and including the additional footpath with all trees retained.
Options for 5 Agnes Street include:
- 71 carparks with moderate tree removal
- 30 carparks keeping all existing trees
- 40 carparks with minimal tree removal.
Voting will be open until Wednesday 3 September.
Cr Burnett said Council’s original design and subsequent redesigns took tourism and environmental factors into consideration.
“Council’s original design incorporated many environmental initiatives into the design of the carpark and those initiatives will remain with the new design options,” he said.
Some of these environmental initiatives include:
- Low glow solar lighting to reduce potential effects on turtles and other fauna
- Water sensitive designed devices to reduce stormwater runoff, improve stormwater quality and prolong landscape life
- Native landscaping to encourage native fauna and retain the natural aesthetic of the area.
Visit https://conversations.gladstone.qld.gov.au to have your say.