Changes to Connected Communities Fund to benefit local charities
Council has made changes to its Connected Communities Fund - Charity Waste Waiver, in a move that will provide a favourable outcome for local charity organisations accessing the program.
The Charity Waste Tipping Waiver was set up by GRC to relieve eligible charitable organisations that accept pre-loved household belongings from the costs involved in disposing of unusable items at Council’s waste facilities.
This was previously capped at $1000 per eligible charitable organisation per year.
However, changes to the Charity Waste Tipping Waiver has lifted that limit to now allow free, year-round access to Council’s waste facilities once successful applicants are issued with a waste waiver card.
Gladstone Region Councillor Rick Hansen said Council is always reviewing guidelines in response to community feedback, in this case the Charity Waste Tipping Waiver.
“Council is keen to support our local charitable organisations and changes to these guidelines will greatly assist charities in continuing to do the great work they do in our region,” Councillor Hansen said.
“Removal of the $1000 waiver means there will be no individual funding limit applied for each successful applicant.
“Successful applicants will be issued with a waste waiver card that must be presented prior to dumping waste at one of Council’s waste facilities.
“Cards will be valid for 12 months with charitable organisations required to apply each year upon expiration of their waiver card.”
To be eligible to apply for Charity Waste Tipping Waiver funding, the organisation must:
- Be an Australian registered charity
- Offer a publicly available donations bin or equivalent that allows public gifting of pre-loved clothing and other household items
- Undertake some form of recycling or goods donations
- Be responsible for costs associated with collection and transportation of the waste material to the waste disposal facility
- Have been issued with an exemption code from the Department of Environmental Science
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or complete and attach a “Statement by a supplier” form
- Be financially solvent.
Visit www.gladstone.qld.gov.au/connected-communities-fund and click on the Charity Waste Tipping Waiver tile for more information and to view the guidelines.