- Gladstone, Calliope, Boyne Island, Tannum Sands, and Agnes Water/Seventeen Seventy
- Description of Works
Council will begin smoke testing as part of source detection investigations within the sewerage networks of Gladstone, Calliope, Boyne Island, Tannum Sands, and Agnes Water/Seventeen Seventy from Monday 7 August, 2023. Testing works are expected to continue for approximately eight (8) months through to the end of February 2024.
This work is being done to ensure Council continues to deliver safe and reliable sewerage services across the Gladstone Region. Inspections of the network will be carried out by our experienced contractor, Detection Services.
- Monday 7 August, 2023
- end of February 2024
- More information
How testing is done
- A machine will be used to blow smoke into the sewer pipes to identify infrastructure defects (smoke testing).
- Sewerage infrastructure and outdoor connections to the network will be inspected.
- Photographs of sewerage infrastructure and outdoor connections to the network may be taken as part of the investigations.
- Your sewerage services will not be interrupted during this time.
What to expect
- Work in the first catchment of Central, West and South Gladstone will begin on Monday 7 August. It will take place between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday, and 8am and 4pm on Sundays, for approximately four (4) weeks, weather permitting.
- The contractor will only require access to external areas of your property, including your back yard. Please contact Tony Deadman of Detection Services on 0422 998 063 if special access arrangements need to be made due to a security gate or pets.
- There may be small puffs of smoke coming up through sewer maintenance holes in the ground and sewer vents, which are usually located on the roof of your property.
- Smoke testing is a well established procedure used by water utilities for many years. The smoke is non-toxic, non-flammable and safe for people and pets.
- Every effort will be made to minimise inconvenience during works.
Entry to properties will be made in accordance with Part 2, Section 144 of Local Government Act 2009 and for the purpose of monitoring compliance in accordance with Chapter 5, Part 2, Section 410 of Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008. Authorised officers will carry and produce, upon request, Council issued photo ID and will advise of their entry at the time. If no one is at home, advice of entry will be left on the property with contact details for any queries or enquiries.
Council would appreciate your cooperation in ensuring clear access is available to any sewer manholes situated on your property during this time.