- Staged works along Lowmead Road from the Fingerboard Rd-Lowmead Rd intersection to the town of Lowmead
- Description of Works
The Lowmead Road Safety and Sealing Upgrade project consists of four stages of road upgrades forecast to be completed on Lowmead Road during this financial year and the next.
Sections of road will be upgraded from the Fingerboard Road-Lowmead Road intersection to the town of Lowmead.
This project will provide an improved, more resilient road with alignment adjustments to offer increased safety for motorists and improved road resilience during wet weather.
- 7 August 2023
- Financial year 2024/25
- More information
- Stage 1:
- Local road users will notice that Stage 1 of the Lowmead Road works was completed in late-2023, using funding from the Queensland Government’s Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS). These completed works are within the first two kilometres of Lowmead Road after turning off from Fingerboard Road.
- Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4:
- The remaining works (Stages 2, 3 and 4) will continue to widen and seal sections of road from Stage 1 through to the Lowmead township.
- All forecast works in 2024 will occur either on or directly adjacent to the existing road. Traffic controls will be in place, so please observe directions and reduced speed zones at all times.
- Local road users should anticipate a significant increase in site activity over the April to October 2024 period. During this time, multiple crews will be working simultaneously across Stages 2, 3 and 4.
- In preparation for Stage 3 and 4 works, vegetation clearing is necessary to enable the road to then be widened.
- A fauna spotter will be on-site during clearing works.
- Noise, dust, construction traffic and heavy machinery is expected in the area.
- Council takes a sensitive approach to vegetation clearing and has completed environmental assessments of the area with the necessary permits and approvals required.
- Mulched material will be transported to Council depots, used in Council parks and community spaces and offered to interested community groups for use. (More information will be made available nearer to works).
The overall Lowmead Road Safety and Sealing Upgrade project is included in Council’s Capital Works program and has secured the support of the Federal Government to widen and seal more than 20km of Lowmead Road in 2024 via the Remote Roads Upgrade Pilot Program (RRUPP).
- Stage 1: