- Toolooa St (Walsh St intersection to Short St-Young St intersection), Gladstone
- Description of Works
• Pavement renewal
• Services relocation - install of conduit for future water services and install of stormwater pipes
• Footpath construction - footpaths widened to 1800mm wide on the residential side of Toolooa St
• Kerb construction - full kerb and channel replacement
• Landscaping - removal and replacement of trees.
- Late September 2021
- Mid-December 2021
- More information
This $1.5m project is proudly funded by the Queensland Government through the Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS), and Gladstone Regional Council.
Works are scheduled as part of Council’s 2021/22 capital works.
The condition of the road, kerb and footpath in this area has deteriorated with tree roots damaging the road and paths, creating potential trip hazards and risks to public safety.
Council is also future-proofing Toolooa Street by placing conduits underneath the road at regular intervals to support future services.
While pavement and footpath work occur, Council will also install stormwater pipes and conduit for future water services.
Council is mindful of undertaking these works with as minimal disruption to businesses, residents and the community as possible with works to be carried out in stages, and in sections, along this stretch of Toolooa Street.
Outline of Planned Works
– Section 1 Toolooa St (between Short/Young St and Pier St)
- Footpath works are continuing. Detour signage for pedestrians will be in place.
- Section 1 fully re-open to all through traffic. A 40km/h speed limit is in place while work continues in Section 1. A temporary centre-line is in place with a permanent centre-line, edge-lines and parking lines early next year. Please drive safely and be mindful of footpath works and crews in the area.
– Section 2 Toolooa St (between Pier St and Walsh St)
Section 2 works will involve similar road and footpath works as have occurred in Section 1.
Work in November will include replacement of stormwater pipes at the Toolooa St/Walsh St intersection. As this work requires open trenching, it is highly impacted by weather. The plan below is subject to change as these works will not proceed if heavy rain is forecast.
PLANNED WORK FOR THE NEXT WEEK - SECTION 2
Significant road disruption and detour to be in place at the Toolooa St/Walsh St intersection
- Work tentatively targeted to start on stormwater pipe replacement on:
- Thurs 2 Dec
- Fri 3 Dec
- Sat 4 Dec
WHAT TO EXPECT - Section 2 Toolooa St (between Pier St and Walsh St)
- Stormwater pipe work will impact the full width of Toolooa St at the Walsh St intersection.
- No through-traffic on Toolooa St at this intersection when work is underway; side streets will need to be used to detour around work area.
- Businesses in the immediate area will still be able to be accessed using side streets as detours and via the business’ alternative driveway entrances.
- Traffic control will be in place throughout the Section 2 works. Please follow directions.
- Dust from the work area is being monitored and water trucks will be used as required.
- Noise from the work area is expected at different stages of construction.
- Heavy machinery will be operating in the work area.
A number of trees were removed in the work area on 23 and 24 September. Further re-vegetation information will be provided as the project progresses. Council recognises that many of these established trees had been in the area for a significant time and strong consideration was given to retain as many existing trees in the work area where possible. Trees along the footpath (on the residential side of Toolooa St) were assessed with a number of trees identified to be causing damage to the road, kerb and footpath, leading to increased risk to public safety.
Motorists and pedestrians are advised to expect detours and changes to traffic conditions within this works area at different stages of this project.