Why Join Gladstone Regional Council
At Gladstone Regional Council you can be home every night and will be able to use your passion for your community along with building a rewarding and satisfying career. Council has been in operation in the Gladstone district since 1863, proving to be a solid and stable employer who offers staff a balance of challenging roles and a life outside as well. With over 90 different occupations across a diverse range of areas the opportunities are up to you.
Areas of work include:
- Frontline services (including customer service, libraries, community centres and rangers)
- Operations (including parks, trees and aquatic centres, emergency management, city infrastructure and traffic operations, cleansing and waste management, and venue management)
- Events (including major cultural and community events)
- Projects and property (including design, streetscapes and portfolio management)
- Planning and development (including health and building, planning assessments, access and transport)
- Corporate services (governance, finance, human resources, strategy, marketing and community consultation and information services)
- Council also offers their Employees flexible work arrangements, learning and development opportunities, an Employee Assistance Program, health and wellbeing initiatives, generous leave entitlements and active social clubs.
Flexible Work Arrangements
Depending upon the position and the need to provide services to the customers, Council offers Employees a variety of working arrangements, including:
- Full-time, part-time and casual positions
- Flexi-time (as approved)
- Rosters for some roles
- 9 Day Fortnight
- Negotiable start and finish times
Council is one of the highest paying Councils within Queensland. We also reward our staff with:
- 12% Employer Superannuation Contribution and salary sacrifice option
- Overtime penalty rates
- Time Off In Lieu if applicable
- Various allowances specific to the role
- Meal allowance during overtime
- Roster allowance
- Generous on call allowance
- Generous call out provisions
- Tool allowance where relevant
- Travel allowance
- Salary Packaging
- Learning and Development
Training & Development
Council offers corporate training opportunities for Employees, some of which include Code of Conduct, Leadership and other In-House Training. Further training initiatives are offered, including:
- On the Job Training
- Work Experience
- Co-Operative Placements
- Graduate Programs
- Education and Training Assistance
- Recognition of Prior Learning Programs
- Up Skilling Programs
- The opportunity for higher duties (as required)
- Employee Assistance Programs
Gladstone Regional Council offers a confidential, free and professional counselling service to employees and their immediate family members for any personal or work related issues.
Health and Wellbeing Initiatives
Council takes the health and wellbeing of their Employees very seriously, as we believe that our people are our greatest resource. Because of this, Council offer a number of Health and Wellbeing services, including:
- A Quit Smoking Program
- Vaccination Programme
- Physio Appointments (5 per annum)
- In-house Health & wellbeing programs
- Motivational material for staying healthy and active
- Free health check ups
- Team Morning teas
Council also sponsors a number of local sporting events and encourages their staff to either take part or volunteer to help during the event, including manning a drink station at the Bridge to Botanic every year.
There are a variety of Leave Entitlements available to staff, including:
- Annual Leave (up to 20 days per annum)
- Personal/Carer's Leave (up to 15 days per annum)
- Long Service Leave
- Public Holidays
- Bereavement Leave (5 days per occasion)
- Special Paid Leave
- Leave Without Pay
- Maternity Leave/Paternity Leave
- Jury Duty/Witness Leave
- Australian Defence Force Leave
- Volunteer Emergency Service Leave
- Recognition Programs
Long serving Employees are also recognised for their loyal and committed service to Council. Employees who have reached a minimum of 10 years' service and thereafter at 5 year intervals, recognition as appreciation for their continued valued efforts.
Gladstone Regional Council has three staff social clubs across the various office and depot locations. Staff can join one or all of these clubs. Social Clubs aim to foster better relationships amongst the staff and their families. They offer many social activities including barbecues, day trips, harbour cruises, golf days and lawn bowls competitions. All clubs hold an annual Christmas Party, which is the biggest and best social event of the year. The clubs also hold exciting children's Christmas Parties.
Council has joined the Social Networking world and keeps the community up to date through Official Facebook page, Twitter Account, YouTube, Instagram and LinkedIn.
The Gladstone Region has all the benefits you would expect of a rapidly growing industrial area without sacrificing its natural beauty.
Gladstone City serves as a gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and Heron Island. It is situated on one of Australia's largest and safest harbours, making it ideal for water recreation. Sprawling parklands and a stunning marina are elements in Gladstone's lifestyle, along with award-winning restaurants and modern shopping facilities.
The region boasts beautiful beaches, lush forest, historic towns and areas of environmental significance as well as a relaxed, tropical atmosphere which makes the Gladstone area, 'The Region of Choice'.