Waste Management Waste Management

Membership with other associations

Gladstone Regional Council is a member of the Central Queensland Local Government Association and Central Queensland Waste Management Group.  CQWM offer advice and education programs to schools and the community.  For further information go to www.cqlga.asn.au

Types of waste:

General household waste
General household waste should be placed in your household's green or red lid wheelie bins. Ensure your bin/s are placed on the kerbside (front facing the road) before 6am on collection day. See Collection days for Kerbside collection for your street.  Larger items can be delivered to waste management facilities with many household waste items including scrap metal, white goods (refrigerators, stoves etc), clean timber, green waste and batteries able to be deposited free of charge.List of domestic fees and charges. See Commercial Waste charges. See Special Disposal Charges These prices are effective 3rd July 2014

When visiting a Council waste facility, please explain to the attendant at the gatehouse what type of waste you have (recyclables or non-recyclables) and if you are prepared to separate your waste so that the least possible fee is charged as per the Sort ‘n' Save program. Read the Sort 'n' Save brochure.

Green waste
Green waste should not be disposed of in your general household wheelie bins. Disposal of green waste is FREE at all Transfer Stations and the Benaraby Landfill. Under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 1999, it is an offence to drive or tow a vehicle with an unsecured load. If you are transporting waste in your vehicle or trailer your load must be securely tied down and covered to prevent the possibility of rubbish falling out. Gladstone Regional Council converts green waste to free mulch for residents (if self-loaded) at its Gladstone and Benaraby facilities. See Transfer Stations and Landfills.

Hazardous Waste

  • For safe collection of unwanted chemicals register at www.chemclear.com.au or phone 1800 008 182. Fees may apply.
  • For unwanted house hold chemicals, please use in accordance with the directions (e.g.  on the lawn)
  • For information regarding handling and removal of asbestos please see the Guide to Asbestos - Minor Renovation

Rinse containers in used dishwashing water. Remove all lids before placing items loosely in recycling bins. DO NOT place items in plastic bags. Ensure materials for recycling are clean. See Responsible Recycling for more information.

Sharps Disposal
Council runs a sharps disposal program encouraging the responsible disposal of sharps in the interest of public health and well-being. Read more on Sharps Disposal.

Trade Waste
Trade Waste is any water-borne waste from businesses, trade or manufacturing premises, other than waste that is a prohibited substance, human waste or storm water. (Note: This category does not include small amounts of household hazardous waste such as paints, bleach and solvents left over from residential usage). Read more for details on Trade Waste.


Televisions and computers are being replaced more frequently than ever before, so Council, in conjunction with the the Central Queensland Local Government Association, has implemented TechCollect, a government approved recycling program.

The free Tech Collect e-waste service for residents and small business is funded by more than 60 national television and computer manufacturers as part of their responsibility to the environment.

TechCollect is a not-for-profit initiative which helps divert material from landfill and allows for the recovering and reprocessing of glass, plastics and metails for the manufacture of other products.

Council is presently providing the service at three regional locations: Benaraby Landfill and Gladstone Transfer Station and Agnes Water Transfer Station.

Please click here for more information on what can and can not be accepted.

Need more information
See answers to Council's list of Waste Frequently Asked Questions or contact Council's Waste Services Section on 4970 0700 or email.