If you would like to take part in community activities through volunteering or if you are an organisation that could benefit from volunteers, join Gladstone Region Volunteering.
This easy-to-use regional website service has helped fill more than 250 voluntary community group positions in less than 12 months.
Facilitated by Council, the Gladstone Region Volunteering website is funded on behalf of Gladstone Area Promotion and Development Limited through support from the Rio Tinto Alcan Community Fund.
Gladstone Regional Council launched the volunteering website in May 2010 with the aim of encouraging residents to volunteer skills within organisations and groups.
Forty organisations across the region are registered on the website with more than 100 volunteer positions currently available.
Click here to access the Gladstone Region Volunteering website or phone Council's Volunteering Project Officer Ernie Coulton on 4976 6300.
Community Advisory Service's Media Research Volunteer Ros Bowes said as a new Gladstone resident, the website had been valuable for linking her with organisations seeking help.
"I felt I wanted to continue to help in the local community so I looked at the Gladstone Region Volunteering website after reading an article in the newspaper," she said.
"The website is easy to use, very straightforward and it really helped to have volunteering information there in one place."
Statistics (May 2010 to February 2011)
- Over the 10-month period three times more females than males have used the website referral service.
- Community Service, Health and Welfare organisations were the most common type of groups receiving volunteers via the website.
- Most popular positions advertised included administration, clerical and financial duties; marketing/public relations, fundraising and events; education, tutoring and mentoring.
- For organisations registered on the website about 75% have received volunteers through the service.
- 68% of volunteer positions listed on the website have been filled or have received at least one referral.
- Majority of volunteers using the website are in the 25 to 34 year age group, followed by those aged 18 to 24 and those aged 55 to 64.
- Volunteer referrals occurred in all months with most referrals in August, October, January and February.
Volunteer at the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery & Museum (click here)