Trade Waste Trade Waste

What is Trade Waste?

Trade Waste is any water-borne waste from businesses, trade or manufacturing premises, other than waste that is a prohibited substance, human waste or stormwater.

What are the most common industries that produce Trade Waste?

Industries that have the potential (but not limited to) to generate Trade Waste include:

Commercial Service Industrial
Butcher Hospital Breweries
Coffee Shop Schools Panel Beaters
Takeaway food outlet Medical Tyre Fitting
Restaurant Funeral Parlour Metel Finishers
Hairdresser Hotel/Motel Textiles
Mobile Cleaning Services Commerical Laundry Food Processor
Bakery Clubs Paper Printing
Supermarket Automotive Abattoirs
Fish Processing Aged Care Facilities Chemical Manufacturer

A Trade Waste Permit MUST be obtained prior to opening business. If a Permit is not obtained, the generator would be in breach of the (Water Supply Safety and Reliability Act 2008) “A person must not discharge trade waste into a service provider’s infrastructure without the written consent of the service provider”.  Penalties can apply for non compliance.

Who should apply for a Trade Waste Permit?

Council will need to be notified if you are opening a new business or are an existing business that has undergone any change to the property owner or trade waste generator, operating process or disposal method.

Trade Waste Fees and Charges

Click here to access the current trade waste fees and charges

Approval System

The Trade Waste application must be completed to obtain Council approval to discharge Trade Waste to sewer. It is the responsibility of the generator to obtain this approval. Should more than one trade waste generator exist on a property then application are to be made by each individual generator.  Council will process the application to issue a Trade Waste Permit or negotiate a Trade Waste Agreement with the generator.  The Permit/Agreement will contain the conditions and obligations of the trade waste permit/agreement holder.  It is the responsibility of the trade waste generator to pay relevant fees for the approval / permit.

NOTE:  A plumbing and drainage clearance certificate must be issued before a trade waste permit will be issued.

Once approvals are granted to discharge trade waste, the property owner will be billed for the combined trade waste water volume discharge biannually.  It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure the volumetric charges are paid.

Both the generator and the property owner are responsible to ensure Council is updated if circumstances in the Permit/Agreement change.