Roadworks Roadworks

For Road Condition Reports & Closure Information (click here)

Whose responsibility is the road network?

Council has the direct responsibility for the provision of its road network. The prime objective is to provide these services at a standard acceptable to the community in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Not all roads in the region are the responsibility of Council, though. The Department of Main Roads has responsibility of a number of roads which pass through the region. Visit the Department of Main Roads' road and traffic information page for details of these.

Council acknowledges that one of the prime considerations in road maintenance is determining the balance between service provisions by contract as against a day labour workforce. Being a local authority with a large rural road component in its road network, Council must maintain a sufficient day labour workforce to adequately maintain roads on a day to day basis and also deal with disaster situations caused by extreme drought, flooding or cyclone

Traffic and road reports

For up-to-date roads and traffic information including road closures in the Fitzroy region and throughout Queensland click here to connect to - the Department of Transport and Main Roads Traffic and Travel Information website.

Alternatively, visit Council's Road Condition Report which is located at the top left of the home page.


Central Region week commencing 24 April 2017:

  • O'Connell Str Barney Point - Footpath, pipe and kerb works
  • Gladstone Central - Emergent works
  • New footpath - Archer Street
  • Installation DDA compliant bus set down area - Flinders Street
  • Installation DDA compliant bus set down area - Katandra Street
  • Dawson Highway footpath upgrade - between Far and Philip Streets

Western Region:  Week Commencing 17th April 2017

  • All Works Crews - Emergent Works
  • Construction Crew - Mt Larcom Street Upgrade

Southern Region:  Week Commencing 10th April 2017

  • Bororen area - Emergent works
  • Creevey Drive - Emergent works
  • Gorge Road - Emergent works
  • Cross Road - Emergent works
  • Brauers Road - Emergent works
  • Baffle Creek area - Emergent works and gravel resheets.
  • Bundaberg Miraim Vale Road @ Tableland Road - Floodway repairs


PLEASE NOTE: This schedule is a forecast only and may change at any time due to reasons such as a delay in works as a result of wet weather.

Road works notification:



Driveways and work on roads

 Construction of driveway in urban, commercial and Industrial areas
 Construction of driveway in rural areas
 Concrete pathway
 Open/occupy road and/or disrupt traffic flow
 Connect to Council's stormwater drain
 Erect temporary fencing
 Barracading and/or material on road/footpath
 Deposit plant or materials on road/footpath
 Hoisting, excavation, construction and cleaning on Council roads and  driveway

 Standard Conditions


 Special Conditions:


Gates and grids

 Install, renew, transfer ownership or register an existing gate and/or grid

 Standard Condition



Council's Gates and Grids policy assists the implementation of Subordinate Local Law No.1.16 (Gates and Grids) 2011 for the installation, maintenance and administration of gates and grids spanning Council-controlled roads. This ensures that:

  • Installation and maintenance meets appropriate safety standards;
  • No unreasonable interference or disruption to the use of the road occurs; and
  • Appropriate indemnities are in place to protect Council and the public against loss or damage.

The policy does not apply to gates and grids at property entrances or on property boundaries where the gate or grid is not on a Council-controlled road.

To view Council's gates and grids policy click here.

To view gates and grids drawing descriptions visit the Capricorn Municipal Development Guidelines website's Drawings and Specifications page and click on CMDG-G-017 for standard Council gate, CMDG-G-019 for 6.0m gate detail and CMDG-G-020 for heavy duty cattle grid.

Frequently asked questions gates and grids questions:

1. If I take ownership of the gate/s and /or grid/s, what do I have to do?

The grid will be given a permit number and recorded in Council's Pathways program and a permit will be issued to the customer and will mean that the grid/s and/or gate/s are registered under the customer's name. Customers who take ownership of gate/s and /or grid/s will be issued an annual renewal notice about 30 days before renewal is due (permits expire June 30 every year) and are required to pay an applicable annual renewal permit fee dependent on the type of road that the grid is located on. Fees and charges for the current financial year are available on Council's website.

2. Do I need to have insurance for the gate/s and /or grid/s?

Yes. Public liability insurance to the value of no less than $20,000,000 is required. A current certificate of lability must be made available by the owner at Council's request.

3. Do I have to maintain the gate/s and /or grid/s?

Yes. You will be responsible for the gate/s and /or grid/s structure including the grid rails and abutments, side rails and signage on the gate/s and /or grid/ as well as the visibility of the permit number on the gate/s and /or grid/s. You will also be required to maintain the grid approaches of a gravelled road 10 meters either side of the grid.

4. What does Council do for the fee paid?

Council's previous position on grids located within the road corridor was that the property owner funds the installation and maintenance of all grid related infrastructure including advance warning signage and maintenance of the road pavement 10 metres either side of the grid.

Council's position under the policy P-2015/27 Gates and Grids is that all advanced warning signage will now be maintained by Council including bitumen sealed pavements either side of the grid. Council will also consider bitumen sealing existing grid approaches at no cost to the property owner and in doing so remove the need for the property owner to maintain the unsealed grid approach. This will be undertaken as funding becomes available and generally considered when the road is being gravel re-sheeted, noting not during general maintenance of gravel roads.

Note that the maintenance of the unsealed/gravelled road pavements 10m either side of the grids is the responsibility of the grid owner.

5. Will I have to change my existing grid?

Only if the grid is deemed unsafe and a potential hazard to motorists and is beyond reasonable repair. Grids will be inspected annually as part of Council's Gates and Grids Policy P-2015/27. Grid owners are encouraged to inspect their grids regularly and undertake any necessary repairs to ensure the grid remains functional and hazard free to motorists.

6. Will I have to pay for the replacement and/or upgrade of the gate/s and/or grid/s to meet current standards?

Yes. Bringing the gate/s and/or grid/s up to the required standards as outlined in the Gates and Grids Policy P-2015/27 is at the cost and responsibility of the owner.

7. What type of grid can be used?

Pre-fabricated grids from grid suppliers up to a heavy duty standard or any other certified grid can be used. Grids must be on concrete abutments. Standard drawings along with the Gates and Grids Policy P-2015/27 are available on Council's website.

8. What if I do not want the gate/s and/or grid/s anymore?

Council will take actions to remove the grid for you. Written notice to Council is required for the request to have the gate/s and /or grid/s removed.

9. What will happen to the gate/s and/or grid/s once they are removed?

Council will dispose of removed gate/grids to a Gladstone Regional Council Waste Management Facility or allow the gate/grid owner to salvage the material. Council will not accept liability for loss or compensation for any removed gate/grid.

10. What if I don’t respond to request to upgrade the grid?

Where Council's CEO considers a gate/s and/or grid/s to be unauthorised, abandoned or non-compliant after three months' notice, the gate/s and/or grid/s will be considered an illegal obstruction and will be removed 14 days after a notice has appeared in the local newspaper and the adjacent property owners, or gate/s and/or grid/s owners (if known), are notified in writing.

11. What will happen if I do not take ownership of the gate/s and/or grid/s?

Refer to Question 10.

12. Why am I receiving a letter now when I already have a gate/s and/or grid/s licence with council?

Any previous licence agreements were the previous Miriam Vale Shire Council and, due to the amalgamation of previously existing councils in 2008, this has not been enforced. The Gates and Grids Policy P-2015/27 renders all existing licences null and void and Council will issue a new permit if ownership of the gate/s and/or grid/s is confirmed.

13. I was contacted some time ago by Council and went through all this, why am I having to do it all again?

Refer to Question 12. A new application process has been created to effectively manage ownership of all gate/s and/or grid/s in the Gladstone Regional Council's region.

14. How do I pay my renewal fee for my gate/s and/or grid/s?

The renewal fee can be paid in person over the counter at any Council office. Alternatively, this fee can be paid via credit card over the phone or by contacting Council's Customer Service to organise direct payments to a Council account.

15. What do I do if I do not own the gate/s and/or grid/s but I know who does?

Write to  Council with information you have in relation to the gate/s and/or grid/s. by sending a letter to PO Box 29, Gladstone QLD 4680 or via email to

16. What if the gate/s and/or grid/s service several property owners? Who decides who the owner is?

All gates/girds within Council's public roads can only have one formal owner. Dual ownership of any gate and/or grid is not a viable option within the context of Council's policy. This is to avoid the possible situation in which a safety issue with the grid and/or its signage arises and both owners do not agree on the maintenance of the facility, leaving Council to resolve the dispute. The liability of the grid remains solely with the owner of the grid, and it is for this reason Council requests a copy of the owners' public liability certificate. Council does not object to property owners reaching a private agreement to share the costs of maintaining the grid. However, Council will only register the grid against one owner.

17. What if my neighbour/s and I organise an arrangement regarding payment of the renewal fee as we both utilise/want ownership of the gate/grid?

As per Question 16 Council can only accept one formal owner of a gate/grid. Any other informal arrangements between property owners/neighbours are at their discretion.

18. How did Council establish who it believed to be the owner of the gate/s and/or grid/s?

Council has recorded the chainage and GPS location of all gate/s and/or grid/s on Council-owned roads within the Gladstone Region. Council has determined grid ownership using the chainage along the road by the following method:

  • Following the 'chainage' rule or property numbering. The direction travelling along the road in which the rural numbering increases is the direction in which Council travelled when recording details;
  • Road Chainages start from the beginning of the road (intersection at a main road). This starting point is 0.00 and as you travel along the road from 0.00 the distance increases and so does the chainage. An example of this is if the grid is located at Chainage 11.45 this is actually 11.45km from the intersection;
  • Council considers that, when travelling in the direction of increasing chainage and crossing a grid on the road, the owner of the property being entered is the owner of this grid; and
  • The only exception for this is if the property being entered is fully fenced and does not require the grid to control livestock, in which case the grid would be considered to be the responsibility of the property owner prior to the grid.

If any owners are of the opinion that Council has assumed incorrect ownership of a grid it can be investigated further upon written advice to Council. Provided Council receive confirmation of the correct ownership and the grid is allocated a permit number by way of this ownership, Council would not proceed to have that grid removed.

19. Can I relocate my gate/s and/or grid/s?

Yes you can relocate gate/s and/or grid/s. However, if relocating the grid/gate you will be required to submit a Works on Road Application. This is applicable if you are seeking to relocate the gate/s and/or grid/s to another location on Council's road or within your property's boundary as the works for either type of relocation will disturb the road, traffic and/or operation of the road.

20. Gate/s and/or grid/s are not on the Council road reserve and I believe it is within my property.

This will need to be investigated further by the area coordinator, but if the grid is installed on the road alignment, even though it has not followed the designed road reserve, it is still considered to be Council's road.

21. Why does Council not want ownership of any of the grids?

As with all local governments Council does not own grids located within the road reserve but understands that it is not always plausible to fence property boundaries. Given this situation, Council therefore permits the installation of grids to assist in the management of livestock for the benefit of the property owner. As the road corridor manager Council must take all reasonable measures to minimise the potential risk to motorists who use the road corridor. For this reason, Council must capture the location of all grids installed on its road network in order to program annual inspections and ensure grids remain fit for purpose and safe for the travelling public. The permit renewal fee in no way recovers the cost to Council of managing these structures within the road corridor but serves as a means to offset it. The fee also encourages the grid owner to assess if the grid is required and if not Council will then remove the grid at no cost to the owner.