Forms & Useful Information Forms & Useful Information

Basic Pet Ownership Ideals from the Local Laws are:

  • If you own a pet you should not let it annoy others by wandering, making noise, etc;
  • An enclosure must be sufficient to keep your dog & cat in at all times;
  • Desexing of pets is encouraged to reduce the breeding stock and prevent unwanted kittens or puppies being dumped; and
  • All dogs and cats are to be registered and wear a collar and tag.

Minimum Standards for Keeping Animals


The following are the minimum standards to be complied with by a person who keeps an animal under the provisions of the local law.

The keeper of the animal must ensure that:

  • Waste water from enclosures are drained in a nuisance free manner or as directed by an authorised person;
  • Excreta, food scraps and other material that is, or is likely to become, offensive is collected at least once each day and, if not immediately disposed of, is kept in a fly proof container of a kind approved by the local government;
  • Any enclosure in which the animal is kept is in a clean and sanitary condition;
  • Any enclosure in which the animal is kept is properly maintained and in an aesthetically acceptable condition;
  • All reasonable steps are taken to prevent the animal from making a noise or disturbance that causes a nuisance or disturbance to the occupiers of other land or premises;
  • Any reasonable directions given by an authorised person to ensure that the keeping of the animal does not result in nuisance to occupiers of other land or premises must be complied with; and
  • Any enclosure built for the purpose of housing an animal, is constructed so as to prevent the animal from going within 10 metres of any dwelling other than a dwelling upon the allotment on which the enclosure is constructed.

Fencing and shelter

As part of caring for your dog is ensuring that it has a safe, secure environment in which to live. Constructing an adequate fence around your property protects both your dog and your neighbourhood. Remember, this is a Council requirement. Failure to provide adequate confinement could result in a fine.  If your dog sleeps outside, ensure it has a covered shelter to protect it from wind, sun and rain and that it has warm bedding for winter.

Storm and fireworks safety

Loud noises during thunder storms and fireworks can scare your dog, causing it to run away from home.   If your dog is scared of loud noises, Council recommends the following during storms or fireworks:

  • place your dog in a dark room or enclosed area
  • take your dog to another home where the noise won't be heard
  • don't tie your dog up in the yard as it may injure itself trying to get free
  • try not to comfort your dog during storms or fireworks as it reinforces its fear
  • ensure your dog is registered and is wearing its registration tag in case it flees in fright

Obedience training

Some tips for training your dog are:

  • keep a sense of humour and never scold your dog if it makes a mistake
  • always use a kind, firm voice and short, simple words such as ‘sit', ‘come', ‘down', ‘heel'
  • the emphasis should be on reward not punishment
  • never use a stick or raise your hand to your dog
  • keep lessons short for puppies. Start with 10 minute lessons and go for longer as the dog grows older

Rules for children

  • never pat a strange dog
  • stay away from a dog while it's eating
  • stay away from a dog when it's sleeping
  • stop your bike if you are chased while riding
  • never retrieve a ball from someone else's yard
  • if visiting a friend who has a dog, ask them to put the dog away if you want to play
  • stay away from a dog that has puppies
  • stay away from a dog that is tied up
  • never pull a dog's tail or ears – dogs feel pain too
  • never tease a dog or make it angry
  • stand totally still if a dog runs at you barking and cover your face with your hands
  • if knocked to the ground by a dog, roll into a ball, cover your face with your arms and stay as still as you possibly can. Don't try to get up

Animal Noise Nuisance

Gladstone Regional Council frequently receives complaints due to excessive animal noise.

Noise is one of the ways animals communicate and can signify anything from playfulness to fear. Before reporting loud and frequent animal noise, first try to contact the animal’s owner. Discussing the issue with the owner in a neighbourly manner often resolves this type of problem in a timely fashion.

An animal owner may not realise that their animals' noise (eg. dog barking or bird squawking) is causing a nuisance to neighbours. The owner may not be home when their animal is making nuisance noise.  The owner may be a sound sleeper and does not hear his or her own animal making the noise.

If the Animal noise nuisance results in you contacting Council, in the first instance, Council will provide you with a "Dealing with a Animal Noise Nuisance Kit"  that outlines the guidelines for your requirements to lodging and dealing with an animal nuisance complaint.

Below are steps you will be requested by Council to complete before escalating your complaint;

  • Identify the correct address of the offending animal;
  • Complete the “Animal Noise Nuisance Complaint Form” located in the "Dealing with a Animal Noise Nuisance Kit" 
  • Keep a diary of the animal’s noise habits for a period of 14 consecutive days, noting the date, time, weather conditions and duration of the noise and the reason for the noise (if known) as well as the effect the animal’s noise is having on you (A copy of the diary is also located in the "Dealing with a Animal Noise Nuisance Kit" )
  • Forward the Animal Noise Nuisance Complaint form and your completed fourteen (14) day diary signed by you and one other neighbour who is affected by the noise to Council, and;
  • Continue to keep the diary of the animal’s noise habits for a further month. This will monitor whether the problem continues or improves as a result of any action taken.

If you wish to discuss an Animal Noise Nuisance in your Neighbourhood, please contact the Regulatory Services Division on (07) 4970 0700.

 Useful Animal Forms and Information

  Animal Forms (Click Here)

  Animal Fact Sheets and Information (Click Here)