Environment Nuisance Environment Nuisance

Council receives numerous enquiries regarding nuisance complaints and restrictions within the Council area. The following information aims to answer some of the more common questions asked by residents.

Local Government powers under the Environmental Protection Regulations are restricted to a nuisances which come from a residential or commercial property unless the property or activity is licensed by another government agency. For example, an environmentally relevant activity that holds a licence with the Department of Environment & Resource Management (DERM), is regulated by them.

On receipt of a bona fide complaint, Council will write to both parties and inform them of the relevant provisions of the legislation. Fact sheets relevant to nuisance are also provided. If further complaints on the issue are received, officers will inspect and investigate the validity of the complaint.

Which Complaints are Administered by Council?
For council to respond to an environmental nuisance complaint, it must relate to an emission from residential or commercial land not covered by other government agencies. Generally, the complaint can be about any emission, including ash, dust, fumes, noise, odour or smoke.

Noise from residential building work. The regulation allows audible noise between 6:30am and 6:30pm Monday to Saturday.

Noise from mowers, power tools, etc. The regulation allows this type of noise from 7:00am to 7:00pm Monday to Saturday and from 8:00am to 7:00pm on Sundays.

Noise from spas, pool pumps and air conditioners. The regulation provides for decibel noise limits from this equipment and can vary dependant on the time of day and type of equipment. Attached is a noise nuisance guideline on the allowable time for noise to be emitted.

Note: Backyard burning is not permitted within built up areas, particularly if complaints regarding a smoke nuisance are made.

Which Complaints are NOT Administered by Council?

  1. Noise from loud music, which remains a Police issue.
  2. Noise from loud parties, which remains a Police issue.
  3. Noise from vehicles, which remains a Police issue.
  4. Noise from boats and jet skis are the responsibility of the Department of Environment & Resource Management.

Nuisance Factsheets

A set of factsheets on different types of nuisances has been developed for residents' information.  Please visit our Fact Sheet page.

A Point Worth Noting

Making a minor complaint about a neighbour to a State or Local Government agency can often do more harm than good. A little tolerance goes a long way so if possible, discuss your mutual concerns. With all the goodwill in the world, it is acknowledged that there are times when assistance from a third party is necessary.

When all else fails, you can contact the


Courts Precinct - 46 East Street
(PO Box 542) Rockhampton  Q  4700
Phone:  07 4938 4249    Fax:  07 4938 4294 
Website: www.justice.qld.gov.au

The Centre is a Government provided free mediation and facilitation service, which deals with workplace, family, neighbourhood, commercial, organisational, environmental and multi-party disputes.

Contact Council's Environmental Health Unit:
Phone:            (07) 4977 6821
Fax:                  (07) 4975 8500
Email:              info@gladstonerc.qld.gov.au
Address:         PO Box 29, Gladstone DC Qld 4680
In Person:      Gladstone Office, 101 Goondoon Street, Gladstone