Caravan Parks Caravan Parks

Gladstone Regional Council local laws require all commercial Caravan Parks to hold a licence to operate.  Caravan Park licences to operate are renewable with an expiry date of 30 June each year.  Annual fees are pro-rata therefore if you apply for a new approval at a different time throughout the financial year; you will receive a discount on the annual fee based on which quarter of the year the application was made.  Approvals may also be transferred upon sale of the business.

Applying for a New Caravan Park Licence or Altering an Existing Licence

This section applies to proposed new premises or alterations to existing premises. 
Note: Prior to submitting an application to operate a new caravan park or alter existing premises, you need to ensure any relevant Planning, Trade Waste, Building and/or Plumbing approvals have been granted. A caravan park licence to operate CAN NOT be granted if relevant Planning, Building and Plumbing approvals have not been granted.

Stage 1 – Application Assessment

Step 1: Application Form

An application for approval is to be made to Council's Environmental Health Unit along with the relevant form, fee and plans. The relevant  form is to be completed in its entirety including submitting all relevant information required on the form.
Link to Caravan Park Form (Click Here)

Step 2: Plan Assessment and Approval

Council's Environmental Health Unit will assess the application against the relevant requirements of the Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2011, Subordinate Local Law No. 1.8 (Caravan Parks) 2011 and any relevant Council Policies.  If additional information is required, an Environmental Health Officer will contact you to discuss further.  An initial assessment of your application will be made to see if your activity is suitable to progress to the next stage of application, for which you will be notified in writing and invoiced for the applicable annual licence fee.

Stage 2 - Approval to Operate

Step 1: Final Inspection

An Environmental Health Officer is required to undertake a final inspection of the premises prior to opening and operating to the public.  Once your premises has been constructed and your annual licence fee is received, an Environmental Health Officer will arrange for a final inspection to be undertaken to determine compliance with relevant aspects of the initial assessment and Local Law.

Step 2: Licence Approval

Your approval to operate (licence) will be sent to you once an Environmental Health Officer has completed a final inspection and is satisfied all requirements have been met.  If approval is conditional on other work being carried out, a time frame will be negotiated in which the outstanding work must be completed.

Sale of Business (Transferring an existing licence)

This section applies to businesses that have undergone a sale and have new owners.

Health Compliance Inspection (Optional)

It is important to check that the business you are looking at holds a current licence.  In most cases this information can be established over the phone.  Prior to purchasing an existing caravan park, prospective buyers can request a Health Compliance Inspection accompanied by the appropriate fee.  The request is usually forwarded through a solicitor but can be made personally with an appropriate letter.  When the request is received, an Environmental Health Officer will perform an inspection to identify any areas where it does not comply with relevant laws.  A letter will then be completed identifying items of non-compliance and copies will be forwarded to the current owners and party requesting the Health Compliance Search. Once the licence has been transferred, the current licensed owner is the person that Council deems responsible for fixing any ‘faults' regardless of verbal or contractual arrangements between the relevant parties.  Therefore, it is recommended to get this inspection done prior to transfer of ownership.

Step 1: Applying to Transfer an Approval

To transfer the approval into the new owners name requires for the licensee details for the premises to be amended and confirmation on details of the operation of the activities by the new owners.  The relevant transfer form and transfer fee are to be submitted to Councils Environmental Health Unit.
Link to Caravan Park Form (Click Here)

Step 2: Issuing the Approval to Operate

Your approval to operate will be sent to you once the transfer application form has been assessed and approved.

Contact Council's Environmental Health Unit for further information:
Phone:   (07) 4977 6821
Fax:   (07) 4975 8500
Address:  PO Box 29, Gladstone Qld 4680
In Person:  Gladstone Office, 101 Goondoon Street, Gladstone