What animals are or are not allowed within areas of the Gladstone Region?
Below are excerpts from Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 which outlines how many animals/species are allowed to reside on any one allotment. Subordinate Local Law No.2 (Animal Management) 2011 can be viewed here.
Circumstances in which the keeping of animal/s are PROHIBITED are as follows –
- more than 4 dogs over the age of 3 months on an allotment in a designated town area.
- more than 1 dog over the age of 3 months on premises which are multi-residential premises.
- any of the following breeds, and a crossbreed of any of the following breeds, anywhere in the local government area: American pit bull terrier or pit bull terrier; dogo Argentino; fila Brasileiro; Japanese tosa; Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario.
For clarity, multi-residential premises include:
- a residence which forms part of a group of two (2) or more residences in circumstances where two (2) or more of the residences of the group are directly adjacent to each other and share
a common wall; or
a ceiling in circumstances where one (1) residence is directly under the floor of another residence; and
- a residence situated on a lot which forms part of a community titles scheme as defined in the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997.
Therefore, any person/s residing in a premise on a property with more than one individual dwelling that can be sold separately, has a body corporate and contains common land that cannot be sold i.e. Driveway, gardens, courtyards, is only permitted to have 1 dog over the age of 3 months.
- more than 4 cats over the age of 3 months on an allotment in a designated town area.
Note: In relation to cats and dogs, if a person wants to keep more than two (2) dogs/cats in a designated town area that is less than 10,000m2 in size, a permit to keep more than allowable animals will need to be approved. Complete the applicable form (download) and return to Council along with a non-refundable application fee.
- a horse on an allotment with an area less than 4000 m2.
- more than 1 horse on an allotment with an area between 4000m2 and 6000m2.
- more than 2 horses on an allotment with an area between 6001m2 and 10000m2.
- more than 4 horses on an allotment with an area between 10001m2 and 20000m2.
- more than 6 horses on an allotment with an area between 20001m2 and 40000m2.
Poultry (other than a rooster)
- More than 6 poultry on an allotment with an area less than 1500m2
- More than 10 poultry on an allotment with an area less than 4000m2
- A rooster in a designated town area, this includes but is not limited to zones: residential, rural residential etc. (all land zones other than Rural).
Donkey, Cow, Bull, Camel, Deer, Sheep, Goat, Llama or Pig
This item applies to all of the following—
- a donkey, cow, bull, camel, deer, sheep, goat, llama, pig; OR
- other domesticated animals of a similar size other than a horse; OR
- other domesticated animals of a similar size.
- An animal to which this item applies on an allotment with an area less than 10000m2.
- More than 4 animals to which this item 4 applies on an allotment with an area between 10000m2 and 20000m2.
- More than 6 animals to which this item 4 applies on an allotment with an area between 20001m2 and 40000m2.
Duck, Goose, Turkey or Guinea Fowl
This item 7 applies to all of the following—
- a duck or drake;
- a goose or gander;
- a turkey hen or turkey cock; OR
- a guinea fowl.
- A bird to which this item applies on an allotment with an area less than 1000m2.
Peacock, Ostrich or Emu
This item applies to all of the following—
- a peacock or peahen;
- an ostrich;
- an emu.
- A bird to which this item applies on an allotment with an area less than 4000m2.
unless each of the owner of, and responsible person for, the bees is—
- a registered beekeeper under the Apiaries Act 1982; or
- the holder of a permit to keep bees under the Apiaries Act 1982.
- More than 20 racing pigeons on an allotment in a designated town area.
IMPORTANT NOTE: A prohibition prescribed in this schedule does not apply to the keeping of an animal or animals on premises if —
- the animal or animals were kept on the premises before the commencement of the authorising local law; and
- the keeping of the animal did not contravene any provision of a previous local law.
Conversion: 1 ha = 10,000 m2 or 1 acre = 4046.856 m2
For further information, please contact Council on (07) 4970 0700