Planning and Economic Planning and Economic

Council's Planning and Economic Division provides a cohesive and well-rounded team which provides Planning, Building and Plumbing advice across the region. The department deals with complex development, compliance and statutory issues and is outcome focused as opposed to process. The department is a 'one stop shop' for all development needs and can provide all advice and approvals in a timely manner.

Town Planning Town Planning

The Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA) came into effect on 18 December 2009 and replaced the Integrated Planning Act 1997 (IPA).  SPA provides for (amongst other things) the process by which development applications must be handled.  This process is called the Integrated Development Application System (IDAS).

Council's Town Planning Team assesses all Planning Development applications - ie. Material Change of Use (MCU), Reconfiguring a Lot (RaL).  The team also assess Boundary Relaxation, Amenity and Aesthetics and Prescribed Tidal Works applications.

For all planning applications you must:

  • Complete application details - IDAS form 1 (mandatory).
  • Complete any other forms relevant to your application.
  • Provide any mandatory supporting information identified on the forms as being required to accompany your application.
  • Pay the required fees.

In addition, it is recommended that you complete the applicable IDAS checklist (although not mandatory).

The following provides links and/or information to assist the lodgement of a properly made development application.

IDAS   Forms/Checklists/Guides

 All forms can be obtained from the Department of Local Government & Planning  website

 NOTE:  The IDAS forms are the approved forms under the Act and must be used when making an application.  There are also template forms however these are not mandatory (eg. Changing an approval)

Amenity & Aesthetics This form applies for all structures which can impact on the amenity and aesthetics of the area or for any of the scenarios listed on the of the Application form.
Boundary Relaxation This form applies for dwellings proposed to be constructed closer than 6m to the front boundary and for all other structures seeking boundary relaxation to the side or rear boundary.
Current Planning Schemes All applications must be accompanied by a statement about how the proposed development addresses the applicable planning scheme and any other relevant planning documents.
Planning Fees & Charges 2017/2018

All applications must be accompanied by the applicable fees.

Other Useful Links


Pre-lodgement Meetings Pre-lodgement Meetings

Pre-lodgement Meetings are designed to provide the customer with detailed advice on proposals that are more complex and generally at a significant stage of their project/application development.

Pre-lodgement meetings allow the opportunity to present proposals once the planning has progressed to an advanced stage. The meetings are suitable for these type proposals:

  • Large scale residential developments;
  • Major economic investment;
  • Significant environmental, social or economic issues;
  • Significant Planning Scheme policy issues; and
  • Likely to attract significant community interest.

Download Pre-lodgement Request Form

Lodging a Survey Plan Lodging a Survey Plan

To assist with lodging a Survey Plan to Council, please complete the below checklist.

Along with the above checklist, Survey Plan Lodgement usually consists of:

  • Survey Plan
  • Easement Documentation (if applicable)
  • Fees as per Council's Fees & Charges
  • Report demonstrating compliance with the Conditions of Development Approval.

To discuss the lodgement of Survey Plans further, please contact Council's Development Services Division on
(07) 4977 6851.

Planning Certificates Planning Certificates

To request any of the following town planning certificates, please complete the Development Services Search Request Form and pay the applicable fee as indicated.

  • Limited Planning & Development Certificate (refer Section 738 of SPA for details)
  • Standard Planning & Development Certificate (refer Section 739 of SPA for details)
  • Full Planning & Development Certificate      (refer Section 740 of SPA for details)