Breeding Permits Breeding Permits

Supply of Cats - Cat Breeding Approvals
Under Council's Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011, Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 and Subordinate Local Law No. 1.5 (Keeping of Animals) 2011, it is a requirement for all relevant people to obtain a Cat Breeder Approval if a person wishes to supply cats for sale.  In addition anyone who supplies a cat to another person, they must abide by Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011, Schedule 12 Conditions for Sale of Animals.

Do I need a Cat Breeder Approval?
Any business who supplies the cat as part of a business activity or a person, who supplies a cat to another entity, must obtain a Cat Breeder Approval and provide their relevant Supply number upon the sale of the cat.

A relevant Supply number is either:
1. Cat Breeder Approval number (this must be obtained prior to supplying the cat/kitten or within 28 days of the cat being born); or.
2. A recognised interstate breeder's unique number.

The following entities are exempt from requiring an approval / supply number:

  • recognised pounds and shelters;
  • registered owners of a cat where the cat is older than 6 months, is registered with Gladstone Regional Council and not desexed (a transfer of ownership for the registration would be required); or
  • where a person supplies the cat to another person and the cat was supplied with a signed veterinary surgeon's certificate stating either the cat had been desexed or it is likely to be a serious risk to the cats health to have the cat desexed. 

What are the requirements of an Approval?

  • The cat/s must be kept in accordance to Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011, Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 and Subordinate Local Law No. 1.5 (Keeping of Animals) 2011 including Schedule 5 Minimum standards for keeping particular animals.
  • Additionally, the Supply number (approval number) must be displayed in any advertisements for the supply of the cat.  This is the responsibility of cat owners and not the advertiser (i.e. printing company, media organisation, etc). 
  • provide a notice stating the supplier name and number to the person receiving the cat

Registered Dog Breeders Information

Most dog breeders do the right thing, but these laws help to ensure irresponsible breeders can be identified and action can be taken to ensure the welfare of the dogs. The Animal Management (Protecting Puppies) and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2016 will commence on 26 May 2017 and includes puppies born on or after 26 May 2017. All animal owners/breeders (including professional or occasional breeders, ‘mum and dad’ breeders, ‘accidental’ breeders and people who give away dogs or puppies) must be registered as dog breeders on the Queensland Dog Breeder Register within 28 days of their puppies being born unless they qualify for an exemption.  Dogs born before this date are not affected.

For puppies bred for primary producers as working dogs and those who have been approved by Council as a working dog see further information here.
A dog breeder is a person who has a female dog with a litter. A person must have a supply number to advertise, sell or give their dogs or puppies to another person. You must register - even if your dog has an unplanned litter or you only breed puppies for family and friends.

When you register, you will receive a unique identification number - your supply number - that can be used to trace every dog you breed back to you. This supply number must be provided when a dog is given away, sold or advertised. The supply number is a unique number that identifies a person as a recognised interstate breeder - provided within their state
Council cannot register on your behalf to can register for free online at You can also call 13 25 23 to register over the phone or request a hard copy application form.

What is a supply number?
A supply number will identify all dogs or puppies from a breeder and provides lifetime traceability of a dog’s origin. It is included in the dog’s microchip information.
A supply number can be any one of the following:

  • breeder identification number - available online when a person registers as a breeder
  • breeder’s membership number - provided by a breeder organisation that accredits dog breeders and is approved by the Minister as an ‘approved entity’
  • breeder permit number - provided by a local government issuing permits/registrations to dog breeders and approved by the Minister as an ‘approved entity’ (please note Gladstone Regional Council is not an approved entity.
  • breeder exemption number - available to eligible people who qualify for breeder exemption.

You must:

  • display your supply number on every advertisement
  • include your supply number in the dog’s microchip information
  • provide your supply number to the dog’s new owner.

This applies to all breeders and suppliers, including pet shops, and any person giving away, selling or advertising dogs and puppies for sale.

What if I have a dog I did not breed and I want to give it to another person?
Before you give your dog away, you must create an account online and apply for a breeder exemption number.

I’m a registered breeder in another state. Do I have to register in Queensland?
Yes, but only if the transaction occurs in Queensland. If the transaction occurs in another state and the dog is transported to Queensland afterwards, the Queensland legislation does not apply.
If the transaction takes place in Queensland and you are registered as a dog breeder under another state/territory’s laws (and you have a unique identification number), you do not need to register in Queensland - but you must use that identification number as your supply number in Queensland.

If I buy a dog from overseas, does it need a supply number?
No. If the transaction occurs outside Queensland’s borders, a supply number is not required when bringing the dog into Queensland. However, a breeder exemption number must be applied for before the dog is advertised, sold or given to another person in Queensland.

For more information on how to register as a Breeder please see Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.

How to make a complaint
If you would like to make a complaint about a person selling an animal without a supply number within the Gladstone Region please provide a copy of relevant information in relation to the sale (i.e. copy of advertisement or screen shot from social media with date/time stamp) and lodge an online Animal Nuisance CSR here  or alternatively send an email to or contact Council on (07) 4970 0700.